Fringe? Bangs? Well whatever you call the funny flap of hair obscuring your face it can be a blessing or a curse.
I would say with absolute certainty that having a fringe is part of my identity. I’ve only ever not had one, once. For a VERY brief period of time that seemed like a good idea. Let’s grow up and get rid of it. You’re a big girl now. Nope, absolutely not. Big mistake.
So for basically the entirety of my life I have yo-yo’d back and forth between a full fringe and a side fringe. It’s what I do when I get bored. One of the biggest challenges to having a fringe is styling it just right, because I guarantee we’ve all been there. Leaving the salon feeling like a Disney Princess and come wash day you became something more akin to Spock.
Here are some of my favourite hacks for making the most out of your do!
1. Nothing looks better than a freshly washed fringe. It instantly elevates your look. If you’re the type of person who can go long stretched between hair wash days (and I so envy you!) that doesn’t mean you can’t give you fringe a quick freshen up over the sink regardless. It’ll make all the difference!
2. Never, ever, EVER leave your fringe to air dry. You’re just asking for chaos. Grab your hairdryer, a round brush of your chosen size (I like to go big!) and away you go. It can be fiddly finding the right rhythm at first but you’ll find yourself a pro in no time.
3. Velcro rollers have been a secret weapon of mine since my college days (a million years ago) and I can’t see that changing anytime soon. I stick a couple in my fringe when my hair is still hot from straightening and remove just before I’m ready to walk out the door. Voila! Volume for days! (Well, hours but you get it). If you’re feeling brave and can find a comfortable angle you could even wear them overnight.
4. Take it easy when it comes to styling products. It’s all fun and games until you overdo it on the oil and end up looking like The Penguin. Not even Danny DeVito could pull that one off. A little goes a long way. Think sparingly.
5. I’m sure you all know the wonders of the simple dry shampoo but regardless of it’s insane powers of transformation when it comes to a set of locks in between washes it’s also a great way to give your hair some oomph! A couple of sprays and your refreshed and ready to face the day.
Now go and get em tiger!